This Surah was revealed during the last stage of the Prophet's stay at Makkah, and most probably it was revealed immediately after Surah Yunus.
- Allah is the Provider and Sustainer of all creatures.
- The Qur'an is the pure Message of Allah and is not forged by the Prophet.
- Story of the Prophet Nuh and his people.
- Dialogue between Nuh, his son and Allah.
- Prophets Hud, Saleh, Lut and Shu'aib's addresses to their people and consequences of their people's rejecting their messages.
- Divine law of virtues removing the evils.
- Allah has given freedom of choice to mankind (whether to believe or not to believe).
This Surah emphasizes invitation to the Message of Allah. It is an admonition and warning to the disbelievers. The invitation is to accept the Message of Allah, obey the Prophet of Allah, discard shirk, and worship Allah alone. Live your life in this world keeping in mind that you shall be held accountable for all of your actions on the Day of Judgement. The admonition is given through the example of those people who put their faith in and used their efforts for this worldly life and rejected the message of the Prophets. As a result, they met the evil consequences of their rejection. Therefore, people are advised to think seriously about whether or not they should follow the way of the arrogant, which history has proved to be the way to destruction. The warning is given to the disbelievers that they should not be deluded by the delay in the punishment of their misdeeds. The delay is only because of the respite that Allah has granted them, by His grace, to mend their ways. If they do not make use of this opportunity, they shall be inflicted with an inevitable punishment that will destroy all of them except the believers. Al-Qur'an has used the stories of the people of Nuh, Hud, Saleh, Lut, Shu'aib and Musa to achieve this purpose. The most prominent feature of these stories is to spell out how Allah passes His judgement on the people, He does not spare any disbeliever even if he/she may be a nearest relative of a Prophet of the time. The stories of Nuh and Lut clearly tell that even the Prophet's own son and wife were not spared for being disbelievers. Therefore, the believers should remember that real relationship is the relationship of faith.