CHARTER of the Alim Foundation Scholars Advisory Board (Alim SAB)
Name of the Board
The name of this Board will be “The Alim Foundation Scholars Advisory Board (Alim SAB),” upon approval and adoption by the Alim Board of Trustees (BOT).
Mission / Objective
The purpose of the Alim SAB shall be to advise, assist, support, and advocate for the Alim Foundation Inc’s online and applications programs to strengthen Islamic knowledge and Islamic values for all knowledge seekers. The members shall be volunteers who will share their expert knowledge. The specific purposes of the Alim SAB may include the following responsibilities:
- Researching, discussing among the scholars, deciding based on legal framework of Islam, and imparting the decisions to the Alim BOT.
- Facilitate cooperation and communication between the Alim programs and the Alim team, and Alim community - users.
- Offer recommendations for program improvements in general and specifically based on Islam.
- Conduct Alim program introductions to institutions and make themselves available to attend meetings when appropriate.
- Support and advocate the Alim programs by helping to raise Alim profile and visibility.
- Advance the status of Islamic knowledge through Alim websites and its applications.
- Develop appropriate responses for Alim user’s religious enquiries that require in depth Islamic knowledge.
Relationship of Alim SAB Members to the Alim Board of Trustees (BOT)
- The Alim Foundation BOT has the sole responsibility to develop, approve, and to enact policy. The scholars advisory Board will be expected to offer recommendations for programs improvements and to provide information relevant to policies which impact the Alim community.
- Support the Alim Board of Trustees (BOT), and its Chairperson in all religious matters referred to the Alim SAB by the Alim BOT and/or its Chair.
- Members shall be appointed for three years.
- No member shall serve more than two consecutive terms, but a former member may be re-appointed after a one-year absence from the board.
- The Scholars Advisory Board shall consist of three (3) but no more than seven (7) members.
- Positions and vacancies are filled as the Board requires.
The Alim SAB members shall be selected and appointed by the Alim BOT. Members shall represent a cross-section of Muslims, specially the Alim user community.
- The Alim SAB will consist of five members. The number of members can vary between three to seven. This number must not go below three at any stage and should remain an odd number including the chairperson.
- The Alim SAB will have a chair, vice chair, secretary (or vice chair/secretary combined) who are elected for one-year terms by the members of the SAB.
- The position of the Alim SAB Chair will be assigned annually by the Alim Board of Trustees in accordance with the Alim bylaws.
- The positions of vice chair and secretary or vice chair/secretary will be assigned by the Alim SAB or elected by the SAB members in their first meeting.
- The Alim SAB Chair will report directly to the Alim BOT Chairperson.
- The Alim SAB will be governed in its proceedings by the current editions of Islamic Rules of Order (by Imad-ad-Dean Ahmad) and Robert’s Rules of Order.
- Decisions will commonly be made by consensus. A formal vote shall be taken when a decision is required and it is to be documented for future reference as policy or in response to an action item, or if the decision requires referral to a higher authority.
- A periodic/regular meeting will be set-up each year and conducted regularly as agreed upon by the consensus of the SAB.
- Any special meeting can be scheduled when necessary.
- The chair or secretary will serve the notice of the meeting. The secretary will develop the minutes of the meeting.
Qualification and Skills
- The scholars can represent any school of Islamic Fiqh and Jurisprudence but must accommodate others with due respect.
- Each member will have a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent in Islamic learning from a reputable institution.
- Each member will have a minimum of three years of practical experience serving the Muslim community.